Minvielle & Chastanet (M&C) began as a partnership between Henry Minvielle and Charles Chastanet in 1864. During the first 20 years the areas of business included dry goods, wines, shipping and insurance. Over the years the company expanded into the Coal Trade, the Automotive Industry, Cigarette manufacturing and the Shrimp Industry. The company, even after the deaths of its founding fathers, remained a family owned business until 1973.
In 1973, Bookers McConnell Ltd. bought 75% of the company’s shareholdings with a view to going public. The uncertain political climate of the time was a significant contribution to the failure of that effort. In 1983 the Devaux family bought back M&C from Bookers and the company remained in the family’s hands until 2008.
In March 2008, Goddard Enterprises Ltd. (GEL) obtained majority shareholding in M&C. Recognizing the opportunities and challenges that will be associated with regional integration and consolidation, this partnership is viewed as a vote of confidence in the ability of Caribbean based companies to flourish in an increasingly competitive marketplace.